Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- 1 (13.25 ounce) package uncooked whole grain penne pasta (can substitute with rotini or other similar small pasta)
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ lbs. raw chicken breast tenders (or thinly sliced chicken breast)
- 1 ½ cups reduced-fat shredded mozzarella (or Italian blend) cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs or whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add pasta, marinara sauce, and water to the dish and stir to combine.
- Place chicken in a single layer on top.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake the covered dish for 30 minutes.
- Uncover; stir.
- Spread mozzarella over the top and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 5-10 more minutes