- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- ¾ cup strong dark beer, like Guinness
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, or to taste
- 1 pound Cheddar, grated
- 4 to 8 pieces lightly toasted bread
- Put butter in a saucepan over medium heat and, as it melts, stir in flour.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and very fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in cayenne, then whisk in beer and Worcestershire sauce.
- When mixture is uniform, turn heat to low and stir in cheese, again stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat and pour into a broad container to set
- Spread mixture thickly on toast and put under broiler until bubbly and edges of toast are crisp.
- Serve immediately.
Place a layer of ham or other lunch meat on the bread before spreading the cheese mixture on top, to make a more substantial sandwich.